selected highlights from my archive of 90s activist ephemera and articles. probably due for a revamp.

Friday, September 07, 2007

Claremont Road, No M11 Campaign

Another one of those pics that isn't one of mine and that I can't remember where I got it from. An aerial view looking west down Claremont Road. I can remember fascinated by the squatter communities in the area for years. As the Central Line Train into London rose out of the tunnels at Leytonstone and shook their way towards Leyton you'd see the houses with the odd paintwork, the famous two houses that had 'why bother?' and 'why not?' painted on the side. Then as the protest took off, more and more garishly painted properties, more banners, the beginning of that wonderful tower. By that time I had discovered my own politics (or the beginnings thereof), and can still remember my first visit there, all alone, in the summer of 1994. A geeky shy 15 year old used to heirarchical structures and waiting to be told what to do. Instead I was invited to wander around and see if anyone needed any help, had my phone number taken to put on the phone tree, and told not to try and do anything on my own, but some of the crane sitters might fancy some relief. Off I wandered, in search of someone to help. I found building site and fence sitters, but also security guards in abundance. When I finally discovered a site I could reach, the crusties happily whiling the hours away up a crane were adamant that they didn't need any help. Satisfied the world was safe in my absense, I went home.

Claremont Road, No M11 Campaign

No comments: